Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ezekiel Tipton 1874-1959



Recently I received an inquiry from a lady in Colorado. She was inquiring about her great-great grandfather, Ezekiel Tipton. Below is her e-mail:


Hi, my name is Pam. My great-grandfather was Ezekiel Tipton, born 1871 in TN or NC (records show different locations.) He lived in Unicoi County, TN on 1900 census then moved to Idaho somewhere between 1906 and 1910, show up on 1910 Idaho census. He married Sarah Catherine Proffitt. Ezekiel's father was James C. Tipton born approx. 1852 and mother Amanda J. Blankenship. Thank you so much for all your research. I just found out about my Tipton ancestors about a year ago. My mother has been so thrilled to find out about her family. Her mother (Anice Tipton, daughter of Ezekiel) died at age 26 from TB when my mom was only 6, and Anice was raised by another family after her mother (Sarah Tipton) died in 1912. My mother wasn't given much info about her mother. My mother knew her mother's name, birth year, birth state and that she was raised by the Bairs and THAT is all she had. We've come a long way and would like to know more.
There are so many Tiptons, was wonder if we are related through this line of mine?
ANY info would be most appreciated, especially by my Mother, and thanks again for all your hard work.
I researched my records and I discovered that she does fit into the Tipton family tree. Most often I can fit Tiptons into the records that I have if supplied with at least three generations back. In this case the lady who sent me the inquiry had the name of her great grandfather which was a unique name (Ezekiel - unique names are always easier to find in a family tree.) Plus she had the name of her great grandfather's parents which is how I was able to identify her great-grandfather. It turns out that Ezekiel is also descended from Major Jonathan Tipton (1750-1833), who is also my ancester. The lady's mother is my 5th cousin. My cousin, and fellow Tipton genealogy family researcher, Tim Tipton (and also my 5th cousin), is checking further into his records to see if he can find any more information on Ezekiel Tipton's wife, Sarah Proffitt (or Prophet.)
This is a good example of why I love researching in my family genealogy and why the Tipton family genealogy is so unique. All records indicate that the Tiptons presently residing in the United States today are descended from that first Jonathan Tipton (1659-1757) who arrived on these American shores in 1692 from Jamaica by way of Pontesbury, England. He settled in Baltimore County Maryland and proceeded to make a large number of land purchases. The records of those purchases exist to this day and form the basis of the Tipton family genealogy. However, in researching the maternal side of my family tree, I ran into a different situation. The name is Hadfield and quite a number of Hadfields emigrated into the United States during the middle of the 19th century through the port of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as well as other points of entry into the United States. However, all records indicate that only ONE TIPTON emigrated and stayed in the United States over 400 years ago. Ezekiel Tipton is just one of them. He is the son of James C. Tipton (1850- 1929), who in turn was the son of Henderson Tipton (1819 - unknown), who in turn was the son of Jacob Tipton (1791-1857) who in turn was the son of Jonathan Tipton III ("Major"), who in turn was the son of Jonathan Tipton II (1699-1799) who in turn was the son of the first Jonathan Tipton (1659-1779.)
The following is Ezekiel Tipton's obituary:
Obituary from Idaho newspaper:Ezekiel Tipton, 87, a resident of Emmett since 1921, died Sunday at a local hospital following a long illness.He was born Oct. 8, 1871, in Tennessee, and was married there in 1892 to Sarah Catherine Prophet. She died in 1911. He moved to Oakley, Idaho, in 1903. He was married to Hettie Hoggatt in 1912 at Oakley.Surviving are nine sons, Ross of Emmett, Clark of Jerome, Tony and Homer of Twin Falls, Elden of Hereford, Ore., Delmar and Leo of Baker, Ore., Raymond of Huntingdon and Ralph of McCall; one daugher Mrs. Mildred Smith of Baker, and one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Hensley of North Carolina.Services were held Wednesday at the Beatty chapel with Harry Bingham officiating.Interment was in the Emmett Cemetery.

No comments: