Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Death of John Tipton b. 1830 d. Nov. 18, 1863 Part III




The following is part three of my posting to this blog of my great-great-great grandmother Martha “Patty” Bailey Tipton’s application for a Civil War widow’s pension benefit due the death of my great-great-great grandfather John Tipton.

I have tried to translate the handwriting as best as I could from a copy of the original document. I have indicated where I cannot make out the handwriting.

Washington County

……………appeared before me the undersigned authority Martha Tipton with whom I am personally acquainted. Martha Tipton, being duly sworn according to law deposes as follows:

I am the identical Martha Tipton who was widow of John Tipton, late Co. M 8th Tenn. Cavalry in the service of the U.S. in the War of the Rebellion. My husband came home some time in the month of……1863 with some paper(s) which I understood to be a furlough to recruit. I am sure that he was recruiting nearly all the time that he was at home and had many men consealed (sp?) which he said he was intending to take to his Regiment. Affidavit did not see the said soldier killed but saw him the next day after he was killed. That she got with Mr. Eliza Presley and her son to go with her and bring her husband home. They brought the said Tipton and he was buried about a half mile from affiant’s house on a hill near brother’s house (Bailey.)Affiant is not positive as by whom the said soldier was killed but she understood from many good (can’t read next line, the narrative continues below with next page)………..

Command called Witcher’s Cavalry. Affiant further swears that the said soldier started from her house in the morning of the 18th November 1863 and said he (can’t make out the next word) other up his men and go to his command which she supposed to be at Jonesboro Tenn. Said soldier started in the direction of the mountains (can’t make out the next two words) affiant found him dead at the house of Dr. Pennys about from ten to thirteen miles from house.

Affiant further swears that the men that he was in charge of (as many of them) came to affiant’s house the same day as a few days after the death of her husband. (Affiant does not recollect distinctly the day) and she cooked thin rations for them to join their command and one Calvin Bailey, Curtis Bailey and Dobson Bailey. Arch Bennett staid (sp?) all night at my house and the rest of the command staid (sp?) in some other place. Curtis Bailey and Arch Bennett were wounded in the same battle with affiant’s husband and that Curtis Bailey was buried in the same grave with affiant’s husband. Bennett was wounded in the head and laid for a long time in affiant’s house and after his recovery he joined the 3rd N.C. Mounted Infantry under Col. George W. Kirk.

Affiant may have more facts in relation to her husband’s death if her attention was call to the (can’t make out the next word.)

Signed in present of E.M. Jackson
Martha Tipton
X (her mark)

Sworn to me this 19th day of September 1870



Information compiled by:

Burkett Bailey
905 Irwin Road
Powell, Tennessee 37849

February 16, 1994


Note: The picture that appears on this blog is not of my great-great-grandfather but of an unknown gentleman born during the same time period as my ancestor. I only use this picture as a representation of the demeanor and style of the gentlemen of that period. I would like to think that my great-great-great grandfather bore a strong resemblance to the actor Guy Madison (who played "Wild Bill Hickock" on the old TV show of the Fifties.)

No comments: