Monday, April 7, 2008

Mission Statement




After receiving a request from a visitor to my website for documentation for proof of her Tipton ancestor I feel it is time to post a mission statement to my “Tipton Tales and Trails” website. The purpose of this website is to share information about our Tipton ancestors. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information posted. Any information posted is strictly for our edification and enjoyment. I am not a professional genealogist. The information I have gleaned for my line of Tiptons is mostly from personal interviews with family relatives. What documentation I have was given to me by Burkett Bailey of Knoxville, Tennessee. This information is a copy of the marriage certificate of John Tipton and Martha “Patty” Bailey. I also have a copy of Martha’s application for pension benefits as a widow of a Civil War soldier (Union).

The information I have on the rest of the Tipton genealogy I have taken from various sources, including Charles D. Tipton’s book, “Tipton, The First Five American Generations”, the Reverend Charles Ervin Tipton’s book, “We Tiptons and Our Kin”, and the Tipton family tree information from the Ancestry.com website. To repeat, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the information I have received and recorded. For those who are searching for documentation to prove their ancestry, my website is not the place to find that documentation. Anyone who seriously wants documentation will have to visit the local county or state records of where their ancestor was born, lived and died. Also, I cannot provide information to inquiries that state “My grandfather’s name was Bill Tipton and he lived in Kansas City, Missouri around 1944.” Sorry, I can’t help you. In order to help those inquiries I would need the exact name and date of birth and lineage back to the 1800’s. Even then the information is not always available. Many of our Tipton ancestors just melted into the countryside without leaving much of a trace. As frustrating as that is to some Tipton family researchers, that is the unfortunate truth. I have encountered the same problem researching my family line. I’m sure other serious family researchers have faced the same problems when researching their line.

Again, if you’re looking for proof to gain membership into the DAR, this isn’t the place to get it. However, if you’re curious about your Tipton ancestry and want to see the information that has been gathered by many, while it may not be 100% accurate, it is as close as we will ever know about our history. I will be glad to help as much as I can but don’t be too disappointed if I cannot give you the answer that you are looking for. To me, that is the great challenge and enjoyment of genealogy, the hunt. Sometimes we’re lucky and we find a treasure. However, all too often we hit a brick wall and we just can’t go any further in the research on that particular elusive family member. Just remember, we all know the Tipton personality. Some of them just wanted to go off and be alone and couldn’t give a whiff if anyone knew it or not. I should know, my Dad was just one like that, bless his soul. Enjoy the website and happy hunting!

Ronald Walter Tipton

No comments: